The Simple Answer is YES.
Ring Floodlight Cam offers more than meets the eye. Beyond its primary function of surveillance and motion detection, you may wonder if this powerful device can also serve as a regular light source for your outdoor spaces. This article sheds light why using your Ring Cam as a regular light could be a genius idea.
Why Should You Use a Ring Floodlight As Your Regular Light? Are there Any Benefits to it?
Many homeowners are discovering the benefits of using the Ring Floodlight Cam as a regular light source for their patios, front yards, and other outdoor spaces. But why?
Here are your answers!
- One of the key benefits of using the Ring Floodlight Cam as a regular light is its energy-efficient LED bulbs. These modern light sources consume less energy compared to traditional bulbs, and this means reduced electricity bills.
- LEDs are known for ample illumination, and that’s exactly what you get with Ring Cams. You can keep your outdoor areas well-lit without worrying about excessive energy consumption.
- The Ring app has a user-friendly interface that allows you to effortlessly schedule the floodlights to turn on and off during specific nighttime hours. You don’t need to wake up in the middle of the night or when going to bed just to switch off the garden lights. You can do that in the comfort of your bed using the app.
- The ability to adjust the lighting settings from the app also grants you control over your home’s illumination. Now, that’s a personalized experience!
- The combination of motion-activated floodlights and a high-definition camera guarantees your home better protection. Better yet, the Ring Floodlight Cam allows you to adjust the field of view and minimize the coverage area of the floodlights. This customization lets you maintain a balance between security and privacy. The lights illuminate the intended areas without infringing on neighboring properties.
- Whether you desire a well-lit entryway, a brightly illuminated backyard for gatherings, or enhanced visibility around your property, the Ring Floodlight Cam adapts to different settings seamlessly. You can switch between surveillance and practical everyday lighting.
Can You Replace Ring Floodlight Cam Bulbs?
Well, it depends.
While LED lights are known for their durability and longevity, they can eventually fail over time. When faced with this situation, you need to know your options for resolving the issue and maintaining your Ring Floodlight Cam’s optimal performance.
LED bulbs in the Ring Floodlight Cam are not officially replaceable by users. Attempting to replace them on your own could void your Ring warranty. If your device is still covered under warranty, it’s best to use that to get new bulbs. However, if your warranty has expired, you may consider a DIY approach, but it requires some technical knowledge. Seek assistance from a professional technician if you have no idea how to go about the process.
How to Keep a Ring Floodlight On As Your Regular Light?
Keeping a Ring Floodlight Cam on as your regular light is possible through a few setting adjustments through the Ring app. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the Ring app on your smartphone or tablet from the Google Play Store or the App Store. Create an account or log in if you already have one.
- Once you’re logged into the Ring app, find and select your Ring Floodlight Cam from the list of devices connected to your account.
- Within the settings, look for the “Light Schedule” or “Light Settings” option. This is where you can customize the floodlight’s behavior. The Light Schedule setting allows you to choose the specific hours you want the floodlight to turn on and off. For example, if you want the floodlight to stay on from dusk until dawn, you can set it accordingly.
- Some Ring Floodlight Cams allow for manual control of the lights through the Ring app. If this option is available for your device, you can manually turn the floodlight on or off as needed, regardless of the schedule.
- After you’ve adjusted the lighting schedule to your preference, make sure to save your changes to apply the new settings. Verify that the floodlight operates according to the set schedule, and confirm that it turns on at the designated time and turns off when scheduled.
How Long Should My Ring Floodlight LEDs Last?
On average, LED bulbs can last anywhere from 15,000 to 50,000 hours of use. That’s around 20 years or thereabouts. Under typical usage conditions, the LEDs in the Ring Floodlight Cam should last for several years before needing replacement.
Generally, LED bulbs are known for their durability and longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. However, their longevity bulbs can vary depending on several factors such as the frequency of use, the environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, etc.), and how well the device is maintained.
It’s important to note that LED bulbs gradually decrease in brightness over time, rather than suddenly burning out like traditional bulbs. As the LEDs age, you may notice a slight reduction in their brightness and performance. This gradual dimming is a normal characteristic of LED technology.
Using Ring Floodlight Cam as your regular light can prove to be a cost-effective solution, especially if you use it as your main lighting at home. The convenience lies in the Ring app, which allows you to effortlessly schedule the floodlights to light up during specific nighttime hours. The floodlights are designed with energy-efficient LED bulbs, meaning that you won’t need to worry about high electricity bills.
Ring Floodlight Cam Lighting Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can My Ring Floodlight Cam Operate Using Battery?
The Ring Floodlight camera doesn’t rely on a battery to function. It’s designed to operate with your home’s electrical system, which ensures a continuous and reliable power source. However, the unit does come with a battery backup that kicks in during power outages, allowing the camera to continue its surveillance and maintain the security of your home even when there’s no electricity.
The battery backup lasts for approximately two hours, which should be sufficient to cover most short-term power disruptions. Once the power is restored, the camera seamlessly switches back to its regular electrical supply and automatically recharges the battery backup, ensuring it’s ready for any future power outage.
Can I Mount a Ring Floodlight Camera Horizontally or Upside-down?
Yes, you can mount a Ring Floodlight Camera horizontally or upside-down to suit your needs. The Camera is designed to be adaptable, meaning that you can change its orientation to best based on the monitoring area. Whether you need to mount the camera on a vertical surface, such as a wall, or an overhead surface, the camera’s design supports both orientations. During the setup process, the Ring app provides options for adjusting the camera’s orientation to ensure the live view and motion detection align with your mounting position.
Can I Dim the Ring Floodlights?
The original Ring Floodlight, no. But it’s possible with the newer models released in 2021.
The original Ring Floodlight Cam does not offer the option to dim or adjust its brightness levels. This may seem like a major limitation, but you need to understand that the primary function of a floodlight is to provide strong and ample lighting. When designing the original Ring Floodlight Cam, the focus was on delivering bright, powerful light rather than incorporating dimming features. However, there are alternative ways to achieve similar results if you desire adjustable lighting.
On the positive side, the newer Ring Wired Floodlight Cam models, including the Plus and Pro versions released in 2021, do support dimming functionality. These updated models allow you to customize the brightness levels to your liking.